DEAR VERISIGN SHAREHOLDERS:
Enabling the world to connect online with reliability and confidence, anytime, anywhere
• We are the guardians of the Internet and our business
• We are passionate about technology and continuous improvement
• We respect others and demonstrate integrity in our actions
• We take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves to a higher standard
Throughout a second year of operation in our pandemic work posture, Verisign has continued to provide the registration and resolution services the world depends on. Our mission- and security-focused management has enabled our teams to continue to enable the world to connect online with reliability and conﬁdence. We have now maintained 100% uptime and accuracy for .com and .net resolution for over 24 years, helping to keep the world connected online, seamlessly and securely, even as the COVID pandemic continues. .
Our ﬁnancial results remained strong in 2021. Here are some ﬁnancial highlights for the year:
• Revenues totaled $1.33 billion for 2021, marking 11 consecutive years of revenue and operating profit increases since the divestment of non-core assets.
• The domain name base for .com and .net names ended 2021 with 173 million names, up 8.3 million net new names, representing a 5.0% increase over base at the end of the previous year.
• We repurchased 3.3 million shares, returning $700 million to our shareholders. Since the company’s inception, we have returned more than $11.7 billion to shareholders through share buybacks and $1.0 billion in special dividends.
• Our balance sheet remained strong, with cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities at year-end of $1.2 billion.
• After freezing registry prices for all of our top-level domains in March 2020 in immediate response to the emerging COVID-19 pandemic, in September 2021 we implemented a 7% wholesale registration cost increase of a .com domain name.
In 2021, Verisign stepped up its efforts to set an example of good corporate citizenship. We have begun the process of benchmarking and quantifying our ESG (environmental, social and governance) measures, which will in turn help us refine and improve our practices and information. We also continued to provide meaningful help to the communities where we live and work through our Verisign Cares program. Contributions in 2021 included support for:
• Organizations that directly help those affected by COVID-19, both in the United States and in India, where many of our employees have personal connections;
• Food banks in areas where we do business; and
• The Equal Justice initiative and the Stand with Asian Americans initiative, cementing our commitment to addressing recent and historic injustices
We have also expanded our workforce retraining program, which helps those impacted by COVID-19 access training, certification and mentorship. From a regional launch partnership in 2020, we have added three more partnerships, expanding our reach both across the country and virtually. Virginia Ready, our first launch partner, has enrolled its 3,000th fellow in 2021 – an achievement we should all be proud of.
In an ever-changing cyber environment, with an increasing reliance on online services, Verisign’s mission continues to grow in importance. In 2022, we will strive to ensure the continuous, reliable and accurate delivery of the critical infrastructure services we are charged with providing.
We thank you for your continued support.
Chairman of the Board of Directors,
Executive Chairman and Chief Executive Officer April 2022
2022 ANNUAL MEETING AND
(This page intentionally left blank)
12061 Bluemont Way Reston, Virginia 20190
April 12, 2022
To our shareholders:
You are cordially invited to attend the 2022 Annual Meeting of Shareholders (the “Annual Meeting”) of VeriSign, Inc. (“we”, “us”, “our” or the “Company”) to be held at our offices. located at 12061 Bluemont Way, Reston, Virginia 20190 on Thursday, May 26, 2022 at 10:00 a.m. EST.
The matters that should be dealt with at the annual meeting are described in detail on the following pages.
We use a United States Securities and Exchange Commission rule that allows us to provide our proxy materials over the Internet. Accordingly, we are sending our shareholders a Notice Regarding the Availability of Proxy Materials in lieu of a hard copy of the following Proxy Circular, together with our 2021 Annual Report. The Notice Regarding the Availability of Proxy Materials contains instructions on how to access these documents on the Internet or receive a paper copy of these documents. We believe this process will conserve natural resources and reduce the cost of printing and distributing our proxy materials.
It is important that you take advantage of this opportunity to take part in the business of the Society by voting on future business before the annual meeting. Whether or not you plan to attend the annual meeting, please vote electronically via the Internet or by telephone as described in the Notice Regarding the Availability of Proxy Materials and under “Meeting Information – Internet Voting and by telephone” in the following proxy statement, or alternatively, if you have received hard copies of our proxy materials, please complete, date, sign and promptly return the proxy card or voting instruction form below. attached by mail using the enclosed envelope so that your shares can be represented at the annual meeting. Returning or completing the proxy card does not deprive you of your right to attend the annual meeting and exercise your voting rights.
Thank you for your continued support of the Society.
/s/ D.James Bidzos D.James Bidzos
Chairman of the Board, Executive Chairman and Chief Executive Officer